Photobucket

Aikido Iwama Uchideshi

This Blog originally tracked a three month period during which time I undertook training in Iwama under the supervision of Nemoto Sensei. We also trained at the Shibu Dojo, O'Sensei's Dojo in Iwama located in the Ibaraki Prefecture of Japan.
I have returned this time for a shorter three week stint in January 2011.

Fairwell Party

Last night, being my last wednesday was my fairwell party. Just Nemoto Sensei and myself were in attendance. Nemoto Sensei presented me with the certificate of attendance, which is a nice keepsake.

We chatted about some specific Aikido techniques, as well as Aikido in general. We also talked a fair bit about the political situation in Iwama, and what the future might hold for the Shibu Dojo once this generation of teachers has passed. I suggested that they could move it piece by piece to Europe, which made Sensei laugh quite a lot. Although I think that I remember hearing a story a while back when the future of the dojo looked grim, that there was actually a serious suggestion of this, made my the French I think. Sensei suggests it is likely to become a museum. Sure that the Aikikai wouldn't let that happen, although as for the Iwama techniques and Bukiwaza.

Speaking of Iwama techniques this morning we covered kumitachi henka. In total there were 20, Four for each Kumitachi, two ken-henka and two nage-henka. I attempted to write down a description of all 20 and perhaps got 15. I am crossing my fingers that we will go over it again tomorrow, or else I may ask Sensei to help me clarify them. Most of them are covered in the Saito Aiki-ken DVD but quite a few aren't. I am sure that Peter-sensei knows them all anyway, as we have covered them, and sure that we will get to that.

The only thing left on the Bukiwaza syllabus is the Ken-tai-jo then we will have covered the lot. I would say that I am getting on with all the weapons quite well really, especially for a 2nd kyu. I am under no delusion about my own standing, but compared to some of the dodgy looking attempts you seen on You-tube and the likes, even by yundsha, I'd say I am doing okay. Guess the key is keeping good company, and I am lucky here and in Aus, which is always going to help !!

The weather has really warmed up, I could almost pour the olive oil out of the jar this afternoon!!